[lit-ideas] Russell's orthodoxy...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:24:30 -0500

Bertrand Russell said somewhere that orthodoxy is the grave of
intelligence -- no matter which orthodoxy it is.   In relation to that,
I once read a short story about a girl who is somehow the catalyst for a
new religious understanding.  All's well while she's alive, but when she
dies, her followers fight among themselves as to how best to carry on
her legacy.   The lesson is that even enterprises which are begun with
hope and idealism end in rigid orthodoxy.   Try as I might, I have never
been able to re-find this story.  I'd be grateful for any help.

Ursula,
bereft in North Bay...