[lit-ideas] Re: Rule, Britannia! (though not as we know it...)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:58:02 +0000 (GMT)

I was listening to Max Boyce, "Live at Treorchy" yesterday
evening.  It wears well.  Wikipedia tells me that they couldn't sell
enough tickets at fifty pence each, so they had to let everyone in for
free.
Seems to me that I heard about him at
about the time of this recording.  I wonder how or where.  I know I
didn't see him live.  I'm thinking maybe a folk singer who had heard
him sang "Hymns and Arias" on a visit to Atlantic College.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I wasn't in Wales -- except for fleeting visits -- then.  (A while back, yes.)
I heard the record at my brother's house but all I remember from then is The
Outside Half Factory.

Duw It's Hard certainly wears well. In fact, it acquires a new resonance now
(Wales will not fare well under the Condems).    I like When We Walked to
Merthyr Tydfil, too.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

On Sep 13, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Judith Evans wrote:
>That't the modern world for you, outsourcing Imperial singing to the
>ex-colonials.

but now we have to pay them :(

Bring back the press for Hopera singers.  That's the ticket.  Board and front
them.  'splain they're now in the navy.  What?
I was listening to Max Boyce, "Live at Treorchy" yesterday evening.  It wears
well.  Wikipedia tells me that they couldn't sell enough tickets at fifty pence
each, so they had to let everyone in for free.
Seems to me that I heard about him at about the time of this recording.  I
wonder how or where.  I know I didn't see him live.  I'm thinking maybe a folk
singer who had heard him sang "Hymns and Arias" on a visit to Atlantic College.
A while back, that.
David Ritchie,Portland, Oregon