[lit-ideas] Re: Rubbernecking

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:30:26 -0700

Online resources are divided: the freedictionary.com agrees with Judy and the Scotsman, "to look around or survey with unsophisticated wonderment or curiosity," whereas urbandictionary.com, "a slang dictionary with your definitions" (with--why not?--polling) stresses the car theme that Paul mentions. Has the word reached the OED yet? Webster's?

I think we may here be seeing English changing. I would guess that British people, my father included, thought "rubbernecking" an interesting term and extended the meaning.

David Ritchie,
carefully reading Australian blogs but unable to make sense of the mess in
Portland, Oregon