[lit-ideas] Re: Rubbernecking

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:37:37 -0400

y contrast, I first heard the the word twenty years
or more ago, on California's freeway system, when it was used to
describe the actions of people who slowed to get a good look at an
accident.  "Staring with an element of schadenfreude" is what I
understood it to mean.  In the comments section of the "Scotsman"
article someone uses rubbernecking to mean something like, "being nosy"
or "gawping at the nouveau riche."

What's it mean to you?

My father has used the word "rubberneckers" to scornfully refer to drivers
who are too busy looking at 'anything' else to drive and thus cause needless
traffic jams. This 'thing' could be an accident, a flat tire or a white cow
in a field of black ones. This has been the case for my whole life, I can
probably remember him using it as much asa 37-8 years ago.

paul