[lit-ideas] Re: "Roughly speaking" (Was: Wittgenstein)

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:05:17 EDT

In a message dated 5/28/2004 5:16:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"What do you call this?"--that is, this  piece in a game.
 We may say: only someone who already knows how to do something with it can
significantly ask a name.

And we can imagine the person who is asked replying: "Settle the name
yourself"--and now the one who asked would have to manage everything for
himself.
_____
Would it change at all if the piece were a Chess Pawn about to be promoted,
or a piece in Shogi about to assume new powers and able to be placed anywhere
on the board?
To an extent, in chess, and to a greater extent in Shogi, the piece about to
be promoted is no longer itself but in the process of transformation, and a
mystery. Will the Pawn become the usual Queen, or will clever calculation
promote the Pawn to a Knight or Bishop?

"What is that piece?" one player asks.
"Wouldn't you like to know?" replies the opponent.