[lit-ideas] Re: Rough winds do shake Muriel

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 06:16:50 -0500

DW:

>In this case, Rukeyser is far too busy playing the game of early 20th C.
Feminism, which is as misguided as any other wonderfully totalitarian
approach to systematic thought

JE:
Care to clarify?

Thank you, Judy. I'm not familiar at all with Muriel Rukeyser's poetry, but I've known of and long had a saintly vision of her as a spit-in-the-face-of-sexist-fascism liberal activist, somewhat along the lines of St. Dorothy Day. So I was surprised to see feminism equated with totalitarianism by David, but I thought I'd wait a while, read more of his posts to see if he was being sardonic or what -- perhaps we just don't know how to read him yet. But I think now that your approach is the better one: clarification, please.

Mike Geary
Memphis