[lit-ideas] Rossiana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 07:52:18 -0400

In a message dated 8/8/2015 5:19:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
So, I am saying that a claim prefaced with "I claim that" has a different
force from one that is 'merely' made.

I agree with Omar K. and bring in J. R. Ross whose hypothesis
('performative hypothesis') relates.
Ross's hypothesis is actually discussed by Holdcroft, a philosopher, in
"Words and deeds: problems in the theory of speech acts". It relates to Omar's
point about:

i. Snow is white.
ii. I claim that snow is white.
iii. 'Snow is white' is true iff snow is white.
iv. 'I claim that snow is white' is true iff I claim that snow is white.
v. I claim that 'snow is white' is true.

Then we have meta-claims:

vi. I claim that I claim that snow is white.

It is with meta-claims that J. R. Ross found a bit of a problem, which he
expressed in his famous essay, "You take the high node and I take the low
node". For some reason, Ross is not referred to as "J. R." but as Haj.

Some claim he is a genius.

Cheers,

Speranza