[lit-ideas] Re: Roots, Poo, Disorder in the Water

  • From: cblitid@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 22:32:29 +0100

On 8-Nov-12, at 7:40 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

... I attribute the list's current quiet to everyone being tired out after the long squawk, or possibly pining for the fjords. ...

Well, I'm quiet due to being tired out after a long FLIGHT (back from Canada) - and, yes, while away I was pining for the Kieler Foerde ...

Here are a couple of comments from the English edition of DER SPIEGEL on Obama's victory, and the US in general:

Presidential Election in US - Europe Welcomes Obama's Win

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/europe-sends-congratulations-as-obama-is-reelected-a-865749.html

Destroyed by Total Capitalism - America Has Already Lost Tuesday's Election

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/commentary-total-capitalism-and-the-downfall-of-america-a-865437.html

DER SPIEGEL is Germany's Please note that I am forwarding these links because I think them possibly seminal to discussion, NOT because I endorse them.

Chris Bruce
back home on
the Foerde, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. For those of you not familiar with Der Spiegel: it is (according to Wikipedia)

"a German weekly news magazine published in Hamburg. It is one of Europe's largest publications of its kind, with a weekly circulation of more than one million.

"Der Spiegel is similar in style and layout to American news magazines such as Time or Newsweek. In terms of the breadth and amount of detail in its articles it is comparable to The Atlantic Monthly. It is known in Germany for its distinctive, academic writing style and its large volume—a standard issue may run 200 pages or more."

-CB