[lit-ideas] Re: Roman Superstitions

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 17:20:02 +0100 (BST)

That old testament God was clearly a bluff-calling capricious sadist among
other things, as Dylan put it - "God to say to Abraham 'Kill me a son'/Abe said
'Man! You must be puttin' me on?'/God said 'No'/Abe said 'What?!'/God said 'You
can do what you want Abe, but...The next time you see me comin' you better
run'/....Abe said 'Where d'ya want this killin' done?'/God said 'Out on Highway
61'.

This is no accident:

http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-commandments/
Much narcissistic kow-towing is demanded, including to parents, before we get
to "Thou shalt not kill". Not killing is, by numerical order, less important
than not swearing using the Lord's name.

This is one madman of a God. Unless He's more of a merry prankster - which is
the other interpretation of the Abe/Issac story, a la Leonard Cohen. OTOH, at
no point did God stop any auto-de-fe by booming out that the killers were
taking the Bible much too seriously.

Donal
London

TC

On Friday, 23 May 2014, 15:44, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The story of Abraham and Isaac in the Bible obviously deals with the issue of
human sacrifice (possibly because it had been practiced in earlier times). When
Abraham is made to believe that God expects a human sacrifice, he is prepared
to sacrifice Isaac. We are not supposed to conclude that Abraham is acting
irrationally at this point. It is only God's mercy in not demanding the
sacrifice that makes it unnecessary.

O.K.

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hm... I am not sure that 'irrational' and 'superstitious' are exact synonyms.
If the Aztecs believed in gods that demand human sacrifices, then their
practices might be said to have been rational, in relation to their beliefs.
But we may still think that these beliefs were superstitious.