[lit-ideas] Right to Play

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:16:33 -0500

Andy wrote:  In the end, all the stuff we do,
all the stuff we write, who's going to read it?  Who's going to care
about it?  Newspaper articles, television shows, etc. etc. all go into
archives for a while and then are purged.  Household names like Stalin
and Mao will become surreal facts in history books. If your children
cherish every word you write, what happens when they're gone?  The vast
majority of authors are forgotten, utterly unknown.  The written word
and beyond.  It's all crap, no matter what it is.

Eric: You'd love Milan Kundera's novel _Immortality_.

On the other hand, I don't think people really do anything because it
grants them access to immortal groves. People love to play, and people
love to play at their work, love to have fun playing at their work and
making something good.

I was wondering what the opposite of play was.

It's not work. Work is definitely not the opposite of play.

The opposite of play is changelessness. Changelessness is the only state
that doesn't permit play. (Torture, you might object, there's no play in
torture. But torture is only the changlessness of pain, a subspecies of
changelessness.)

Seriously chuckling,
Eric