[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:01:25 -0500

Marlena:<Glad the hospice is attempting to keep her comfortable. That,
indeed is
palliative care, but normally they would try to spoon feed or give a little
water as part of palliative care - but the judge denied that.">

If you give water or food by mouth to a person in a PVS, you cause them to
choke to death.  That's why she was on the feeding tube.

Veronica

Florida
> [...]

> if Terri was so Catholic that divorce was not really an option for
her--and
> the  parents wanted her to do so [mine did me but I was trapped by my
> 'vow'...so I do  know a little what it is like to be trapped...])...Do
you?

> I cannot imagine not being able to be in the room with my child when he
was
> dying.  I simply cannot.  I do not think that has anything to do with
> 'adjudging' Michael.  I admit it is really hard hard hard to simply
evaluate his
> behavior and be SO thankful and  hopeful--thankful  that  my child will
never
> ever be like that to someone's parents and hopeful that I  will not have
to deal
> with someone like him as a wife for my  child.  If he did not see her as
> having any sort of life and  feeling--then what would it have hurt to
have let them
> try??  I simply do  not understand.  If it is not going to hurt her and
may
> not even help  her--but would help THEM and they are her parents--then
why not?
>   I  do not understand.  And, keeping them from their daughter (and I do
not
> believe you EVER stop being a parent--ever--though you may try to allow
for
> healthy boundaries which is what I think they did...and how dare YOU
judge
> what  sort of parents they were because she had an eating disorder!  Is
every
> problem a child has because of bad parenting?  None of us are here to
learn  and
> to grow on our own?
>
> If saying that Michael's behavior smacks of power-control issues--and
that
> he is not healthy in how he acts when he has that power or this would not
be
> what happens:
>
> I got this from my sweet dear friend who is an "aging activist" (and not
> member of the 'Religious Right' by any stretch of the imagination...)
>
> "I understand the husband occasionally lets them "visit" for short
periods
> but they ofter go 10-12 hours without being able to see her.  There is a
> policeman at the door and someone in the room whenever they are there to
assure
> she gets no liquid from them.  Sad case that certainly makes the case for

> Assisted Suicide.  I assume you are aware that Oregon has such a law as
do  a
> number of countries in Europe...i.e. Denmark, Holland, Sweden.  Some say
its
> really devastating the population in Holland...and many comparisons are
being made
> to Hitler's destruction of those mentally or physically  handicapped.
The
> cost to the state is a burden.
>
> Glad the hospice is  attempting to keep her comfortable.  That, indeed is
> palliative care, but  normally they would try to spoon feed or give a
little
> water as part of  palliative care - but the judge denied that."
> "
>
> I apologize for being so cross in tone and words--but to blame any woman
for
> domestic violence is coming too close to home to me and for me.  I will
end
> up saying things that I would prefer not to say.
>
> Blame the victim--oooh, yes.  If she was abused, it was her fault and
she
> deserved to stay there if she was.  THAT sounds more like a 'religious
> right'/neo-conservative sort of thing to say than anything that *I* would
EVER  say.
> (They are poor because they had bad parents and if they stay poor  that
is
> because they deserve it because if they didn't, they would find a way
out...)

> and I do try to assist people in not being EITHER the victims or the
> victimizers--but to look for that third option.
>
> <deep breath[s]>  and <mental refocusing to find the  'good'>
>
> Will you give me permission to forward that part of your post which both
> connects me with the "religious right" and also invalidates pretty much
ANYTHING