[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:51:16 -0500

AA: Personally, I'm beginning to see that death invalidates life. It's like
writing a book that one will throw away.

SS: I have to disagree with that thought. I remember being a college
freshman and reading Wallace Stevens poem 'Sunday Morning' where Stevens
wrote that "...death is the mother of beauty..." I think it was Stevens
anyway. I have that line in my head for the past 30-40 years. And I think
finally I begin to understand it.

I understand it the way that limits make me more productive, deadlines make
me work harder to meet them, forces me to write more artfully, pushes me to
do more. Revision is my middle name except for here on lit-ideas. I used to
write a political column for a newspaper every week -- and I was forced to
trim my thoughts down to 600 words every week, no matter how complex the
subject. As a result of that compulsory limit, I wrote better, I confess. I
always ached and bitched about it, but I was a better writer for it.

Knowing that we don't live forever forces me to make decisions about my
present and my future I would never make otherwise. Granted, I don't want to
die. But I think, over all, my life is improved in quality and quantity
because I dont' have forever to make my mark

As a result, death can give validity and meaning to my life. I don't believe
that's always the case. But for me it is. If my life were cut short this
very minute, I don't think my life would have been improved. But short of
such a precipitous end, I think it is.

Stan
Portland, Maine