[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:28:48 -0500

A major flaw in this is that the facts in this case have been studied in
the courts for over a decade.  If nothing sanctionable has surfaced yet
(not even punishable, just sanctionable, as in a tongue lashing from a
judge), then it's not there.  But that hasn't stopped people from accusing
Michael of whatever moves them, from domestic violence to murder.  Marlena,
with all due respect, you are a member of the religious right,  however
recovering.  Your comments are therefore not exactly impartial.  This is
like the Clinton White Water thing,  5 years, $40 million and at least two
prosecutors wasn't enough to prove the Clinton's innocence to a lot of
people.

Regarding the eating disorder, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that
the seeds for emotional problems like eating disorders are laid while a
child is growing up.  By the time people are of marrying age, their
personalities are fully formed, which includes the way people respond to
stress.  Also, worst case scenario, let's assume for a minute that Michael
did beat Terry.  What might that say about Terry?  Let's try a few
possibilities, you can add some.  How about (1) Terry was a very bad judge
of character such that she couldn't see Michael for what he was before she
married him.  We'll take that off the list because con men sociopaths are
by definition excellent deceivers.  Okay, let's try (2) Terry was
hoodwinked, charmed into marriage, then, finding herself in an abusive
situation, was unable to ask for help, including returning to her parents'
home if a shelter was beneath her.  Why was she unable to ask her parents
for help, and if she did, why didn't they give it?   How about (3) she
never learned how to relate in her family, wherein she learned how to have
an eating disorder, knew they were incapable of hearing her, put image over
substance, and played out the victim role she learned at home.  The bottom
line is, her parents got parental urges long after Terry needed them.
Demonizing Michael may make them feel better about their all too human
failings.  Michael has become a punching bag for issues people have in
their own lives.

May G-d be with you Marlena in adjudging Michael in ways the courts refuse
to do.

Andy Amago

then he