[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:09:52 -0500

Andy: I think the
Schindlers don't care about their daughter. They care about themselves and
how they will feel when she's gone. Maybe they'll have to look at their
marriage, find something else to do. Not so easy to do. If they cared
about her, they'd let her go. We have to be careful not to project our own
causes onto cases like this.

I think they care about their daughter very much.  But it has gone way
beyond that.
Your other points are very well taken.  Still, I regret that the siblings
will think that the courts murdered their kin.

About two years or so ago, someone asked if anyone had read Norman O.
Brown's book,
something having to do with death, the title I think was, "Life Against
Death."  I had read the book but didn't answer because it had been a long
time ago and I thought I didn't remember much of it.  But now, I think I
remember that the thesis was the concept of 'causa sui' or the idea that we
all latch on to something to divert ourselves from the inevitability of our
own death that is to come.  I think maybe this might be what is going on in
this family.  I sort of suspect that their entire lives have revolved
around Terri and how to keep her alive while they wait for her to wake up.
(apologies for not underlining foreign phrase.  That function is not
working on my e-mail.

Andy:A.A. Guidelines need to be established. Not rules, guidelines.
Regarding
rationing of expensive healthcare, it's not rationed by IQ, it's rationed
by ability to pay. Terry got more healthcare services to date than just
about anyone.

Yes. Absolutely.

Veronica

Terri