[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:14:09 +0000

Friday, March 25, 2005, 3:41:19 AM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Judy said:
> <The people over the road gave (sold?!) their house to their children
> (but share it with them) and intend having less than the threshold
> amount so the state *has* to pay for them. I'm a bit risk averse (but
> also haven't much money...), ?>

VC> We can't do this due to property taxes, etc.

? we have property taxes too

VC>  We have thought about getting
VC> a divorce and just living together as we have always done, but then we lose
VC> each other's insurance coverage, and we need it.  One covers some things
VC> that the other does not.

Yes. Anyway here there'd be a ruling that the divorce made no
difference (the rule here is not that a spouse has to contribute, but
that the property of a person who has to go into a nursing home has to
be utilised to pay for [most of] that)

VC> Judy: <Some people here have used Dignitas. Living wills have common law
VC> force -- and I can't see any government going backwards on that -- but
VC> they and the case law don't cover every eventuality.>

VC> There was a survey done by my retirement agency and it showed that living
VC> wills were ignored 67% of the time.  I am not worried about this though
VC> because I have two people in the health care profession and they get
VC> special treatment for their relatives.  That is, they are likely to listen
VC> as they are peers.

I have no such relatives, unfortunately.

VC> Also, nursing homes in this state are not regulated very well.  They pay
VC> employees very little and are not required to do background checks before
VC> hiring.

Here they are fairly well regulated (background checks are mandatory)
and inspection results are published.

VC>  Anyway, I am not going to a nursing home because I won't live
VC> without a dog.  Really.  This is not intended as a joke.

Nursing homes here used to allow patients to keep pets, they seem to
have stopped doing that.

My mother said she wouldn't go into a nursing home, I promised her I
would not let that happen, then it became, unexpectedly, impossible to
keep that promise (the hospital ruled she had to go into one, I
couldn't find a way of challenging that in time), so, she went in...

Luckily I eliminated bad nursing homes using the reports, then found
local people who knew about them, then 'phoned 4-5: all but one said
what a good nursing home should say, "don't make an appointment to see
us, drop in any day any time, someone will show you round"; luckily
the third-nearest, which our current GPs visited, was more than simply
OK.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx