[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:30:45 -0800

> Has anyone read, as I have, where on occasion a person is denied a
> transplant because she can't pay?

ck: Veronica, this is quite common in the US. Without health insurance, a
transplant is pretty much out of the question, as are relatively routine
surgical procedures.

> Also, the society ought to have a say in some of this.
ck: By "society" do you mean Congress?

  Health care is
> already rationed to some degree to those who have good insurance.

ck: That's an understatement.

>How long> is society responsible for maintaining persons on life support at
>incredible expense, while others are denied relatively cheap medical care?

ck: This is one reason that the Schiavo case was seized upon by
conservatives. Terri Schiavo's medical care was not, until recently,
dependent on any state or federal health program. (Shhh--don't tell Bush,
who wants to put a low cap on medical malpractice cases...)

At any rate, I completely agree with you about basic health coverage for
all, but that's unlikely to happen. Far more likely, people who had been
covered (even by Medicaid) will be denied medical care based on what others
perceive to be their value to society. Their perceived "worth." How to
measure "worth"? In this capitalistic society, by return on investment.
People with disabilities measure low on that economic scale, which is why
the disability community figures they'll be among the first to have their
access to medical care scaled back, as usual.

But as you say, society believes it should have a say in all this
technology. However, I doubt that a feeding tube is a very costly piece of
technology.

A couple of points in the Schiavo case:
Terri has been swallowing her own saliva, according to medical reports. (She
doesn't drool.) Swallowing reflex can be increased, with training. Terri
didn't have such training, and the courts refused it. Please note: The
courts are not medical experts, nor are lawyers trained in interpreting
medical information. The courts that have ruled in favor of Michael Shiavo
have looked specifically--and almost solely--at the rights and obligations
of a legal guardian. Charges of abuse remained just that--informal charges
to nobody. The documents backing up the family's accusations are part of the
Schindler family's records. Michael Schiavo has not been brought up on
domestic violence charges. Btw, Veronica, I'm currently working as a
counselor at a shelter for battered women, so don't lecture me.

You may not know that people have become fully conscious years after being
in PVS and minimally-conscious states. Just a couple of weeks ago I attended
a lecture on this by the physician who runs the local "vegetable patch"
here--a coma unit. You'd think it'd be a quiet place. Not with this doctor.
He believes in stimulating his comatose and near-comatose patients to the
max--anything to wake them up, including flavoring the liquid in their
feeding tubes. (What, it's gonna hurt?) His point is, you've gotta try to DO
something with these folks or you might as well put them all to sleep
permanently--which he has no intention of doing. So his ward is anything but
quiet. Radios, TV, massages, vibrators, varying lights, families reading and
picnicking...you wouldn't believe it. This ward has an extraordinary record
of wake-ups, compared to others of its ilk.

And for 15 years, Terri Schiavo has been locked in solitary confinement,
with infrequent, monitored visits from her parents. No outdoors, nobody
talking next to her or around her. Radio tuned to the same station for
years...It's enough to make someone feel brain dead.

But I'm curious: Would you deny feeding tubes in all cases of minimal
consciousness? Would you allow a feeding tube for a certain number of weeks?
Months? Years? Never? You've probably read or heard about people being fully
conscious but "locked-in"--the Poe terror. This can continue for a long
while, for years, if nobody's watching that patient very carefully for signs
of alertness. Stinting on the feeding tube would kill them off. Is that okay
in the rationing hierarchy? Should expensive healthcare be reserved for
people above a certain IQ level--and withheld for, say, people with mental
retardation living in institutions?  Just curious. Very curious.
Carol