[lit-ideas] Re: Richard Rorty, Nietzsche and Jungian Darwinism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:04:34 -0800

Mike,

The second sentence in my "Comment" reads "Jung hypothesized a sort of
"Oversoul" for each species."  The Oversoul isn't God - although man seems
to want to worship something and in the absence of God he has turned to
superstitions of various kinds; so he may have wanted to worship the
Oversoul if Jung's ideas had caught on, but I don't think they did.  The
Oversoul for Homo Sapiens would presumably be more sophisticated than the
Oversouls for the other species because it was, if I recall correctly, a
projection of a given species - like the Mandala in his book on Flying
Saucers.

A better objection than any of those you voiced is "if each species has an
Oversoul to protect it, why have some species become extinct?  And since I
read Jung about 40 years ago I can't recall how Jung would have answered
that objection.

As to there not having been enough time to account for species through the
pure randomness of natural selection.  I believe that is generally accepted
by anthropologists today.  To compensate, Anthropologists have proposed the
idea of periodic "jumps" caused, they argue, by such things as climate
change and climate shifts.  They find long periods of time with little
change to the fossils; then there is some sort of geologic change.  They
find an anomalous layer of sediment and after that the species are changed.

And yes, another planet or better yet planets to pollute if that is an
unalterable characteristic of our species.  Shall we instead commit species
suicide because we pollute?  As soon as man gave up his hunter-gatherer
existence and settled in little villages, he began to pollute.  Actually he
polluted earlier but sort of randomly over the countryside.  But if he was
staying mostly in his village then the pollution had to be nearby.
Archeologists love his pollutions.  They find bones of the animals he
killed, arrow and spear points and even the occasional evidence of murder.

To suggest that we shouldn't hope for the continuation of our species
because it doesn't behave as we think it should strikes me as rather
unpragmatic and shortsighted and perhaps lemming-like.

Anti-technology was a strong element in Heidegger's philosophy.  He was
perhaps a semi-Luddite.  Most nations he thought couldn't handle technology
and were better off without it.  Only the Germans, he thought, were capable
of handling technology in the proper spiritual way.  Also, there is a strong
Luddite element in the Environmental camp, e.g., you want to progress
through here?  You will destroy the Spotted Owl if you do and the
preservation of the Spotted Owl is more important than your "progress."  You
say jobs will be lost?  Tough!  Better to lose your jobs than destroy one
species.

As to war, that too seems to be a characteristic of our species and good
justification for spreading human kind over "Twelve Colonies" (in BSG
thinking) rather than grouping them together on just one planet.   As to
fearing a powerful nation, well yes, humans have always done that.  Rome's
neighbors feared Rome, but Rome feared the Barbarians.  That in itself isn't
a criticism of Rome or the Barbarians, it is merely the way we humans relate
to each other.

Lawrence