[lit-ideas] Re: Revisiting Judy's World

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:38:05 -0500

S/he is I agree perhaps preferable.

No, it's a glyphic abomination. How is one supposed to pronounce it? And following that combo-logic, what of the possessive: 'he/i/r/s'? No, no, no. That will never do. Never, ever. The obvious answer is to fall back on the indefinite neuter -- "one", "one's". Exempli gratia: "Each student must bring one's own pronouns and possessive adjectives to class." or "Ask the average American what one wants and one will you: One wants what one's got coming to one." Nicely neutered and still grammatical. I can't believe I have to tell the world how to talk fucking English. It's enough to make you want to say "fuck" -- and I'll bet even Walter agrees.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>