[lit-ideas] Re: Reubenesque

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:26:58 -0800

> Apparently, a little research is only a foothold on greater confusion.

ck: Still, enlightening. I always wondered how such an unkosher version of a
kosher deli sandwich was born. Omaha--sure, makes sense. I didn't come
across Reubens until I was 19, when I went to California. (Ditto for my
intro to artichokes, btw.) The very idea of Swiss cheese on deli meat seemed
strange, coming from whence I originated. Now, Reubens just seem
unnecessarily greasy to me. The Reubens I've had are served on toasted rye
bread, rather like a grilled cheese sandwich, only with more stuff. Not
nearly as good as that other non-kosher, all-American specialty, the
cheeseburger, imo. O for that ignorant bliss before the appearance of the
cholesterol serpent!

Shoot. My keyboard's sticking painfully. Hope there's a sale on the
miniboard I use.
Leanly,
Carol K.