[lit-ideas] Return of the Coyote

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rhodesianridgebacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:36:14 -0700

http://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/

The photos from today are in the October 2011 gallery and begin with photo
168.  We were hiking very near where Ginger had been bitten a while back.  I
took Ginger's caution to be a result of her remembering what had happened,
but in retrospect she must have smelled the coyote - as did Sage.  The
coyote was initially quite near.  The first howl sounded as though it were
ten or fifteen feet away, but it moved fairly rapidly toward the levee.
Photo 177 shows it up on the levee giving us one last complaining howl.
Photo 178 shows its ears and a bit of its back as it went down the other
side.

We hadn't seen or heard this coyote for so long I thought she had probably
taken her pups (if she had any) and moved on, but she might have gotten used
to our passing her territory and just kept her mouth shut - or she could
have been off someplace else and recently returned.

Lawrence