[lit-ideas] Re: Resistance against Rome and others

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 16:49:08 -0700

On Apr 4, 2014, at 4:09 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Vide:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Watling_Street
>
> "It  is said that the emperor Nero
> was so shaken by
> these events that he  considered
> withdrawing from
> Britain altogether, but
> with the revolt  brought to a
> decisive end, the occupation of
> Britain  continued.
> Fearing Suetonius's punitive
> policies would provoke
> further rebellion, Nero
> replaced the governor
> with the more  conciliatory
> Publius Petronius Turpilianus"

Which brings us to the question of what a Watling might be.  In the manner of
Speranza, I quote the le pedia de wiki: The main section of the road is that
from Dover to Wroxeter. It was named Wæcelinga Stræt by the Anglo-Saxons,
meaning "the paved road pertaining to the people of Wæcel".[3] Wæcel could,
possibly, be a variation of the Old English word Wealhas for 'foreigners' which
was applied to the Celtic people inhabiting what is now Wales. This place-name
element also gave us the name for Wæclingacaester (the early English name
forVerulamium) and it seems likely that the road-name was originally applied
first to the section between Verulamium and London before being applied to the
entire road[citation needed]

"Pertaining," I hear you cry?  "Pertaining?!  What kind of language is that for
manly Anglo-Saxons?  That undergraduate-write that is.  "This essay pertains to
the subject at hand..."

Or is that the cry of a wooly mammoth?  One of the other.

TGIF.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon