[lit-ideas] Re: Rent

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:12:47 -0800 (PST)

Lawrence probably meant to send this to the list.  Thanks for your reply,
Lawrence.  Now that you mention it I have this vague idea that I played some of
the songs on the piano way back when, and they are in fact beautiful, very,
what's the word, round, singable.  The music in this thing has among other
things rock as well as singing but it was just not well done.  Maybe I couldn't
relate to the characters or to the story line?  Ordinarily I side with the
victim ("victims create victims") and I understand the problems that go into
drug addiction but there was no indication of that.  I just couldn't feel sorry
or much of anything for these people.  They were flat.  I also didn't like them
usurping the word "bohemia" to mean do anything you want any time you want and
let someone else pay for it.  I'm really curious as to your reaction to it.

  Regarding ratings, I do look at the ratings that Netflix viewers give.  I
generally will ignore bad ratings because I know my tastes are not mainstream,
and where possible I go with critics (unless it's the NYT, especially on
documentaries).  I did notice that this had high ratings from viewers but I
figured it was a hit on Broadway, based on a classic, so how bad could it be,
right?

  Actually, far superior to this if you haven't seen it is the movie Chicago.
The music and dance is in a different universe.  Rent, uh, Rent, has two
musical sequences, one a tango which is good, and the other is Maureen's effort
to save tent city which struck me as almost  Andy Warhol-ish or something I
can't quite put my finger on.  But those two scenes, in my opinion didn't
redeem this movie.

  It just popped into my head that, so long ago that I don't remember it and so
young that I wouldn't have appreciated it, I read a play by Maxim Gorky called
The Lower Depths, 1902 about basically the dregs of society.  I'm tempted now
to dig it up except I don't think I have it anymore.  Contrasting that might be
the work of F. Scott Fitzgerald who wrote of the completely opposite, if no
happier, end of the spectrum.  Sex, drugs and unhappiness with and without
rent.  The Renters did strive for community though, which I think Fitzgerald
lacks.  I can't wait now to hear what you think.

Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
        Irene:

  I am a long time aficionado of Bel Canto opera --- through recordings
primarily.  La Boheme is one of the best known of that tradition.

  I hadn?t heard of Rent and so ordered it through Netflix.  I expect to be
disappointed -- unless they use Puccini?s music.  From your description I
expected the Netflix watchers to have given it a low rating.  Had they done so,
I would not have ordered the movie, but they gave it about a 4.3 out of 5 which
is pretty high.   Maybe being familiar with the opera helps.  I?ll let you know.

  Lawrence