[lit-ideas] Re: Renaissance Man as a Double Misnomer

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:24:45 -0600

Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I find the idea of Renaissance OFFENSIVE. The Graeco-Roman civilisation (ideals, education) never PERISHED. Only the stupid Italian pompous claim that that civilisation did perish justify their equally pompous idea that Firenze will be the place for that divine resurrection (renaissance) "If you never died, you are never re-born"

Often the people DOING something aren't the ones who wind up NAMING what they did. Example: "Gothic" cathedrals were so named by the decidedly non-Goth Italians, as a derogatory term. Likewise, the "renaissance" was invented by a Frenchman (Jules Michelet) and then popularized by a German (Jacob Burckhardt).

The Florentines, I suspect, would not approve of this term either.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA