[lit-ideas] Re: Remember what happened to Oriana Fallaci

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:31:08 -0700

Dear Sem—or should I call you Barb?

What follows is so obviously a form letter that it is not worth your time reading it nor ours in sending it and is thus invisible except to the servers at andreas.com who speak nothing but Democritian, a language in which only the atoms and the void are real.

As for 'legal action,' I have been asked by Ms. Llatoof to pass on the following message: 'They must have forgotten what happened the last time they tried that.'

Our Public Relations Office, however, has suggested that this might have been said partly in jest and that 'it takes all kinds to make a world.'

Please click on infernalreturn.com to download a free pass to the 1939
World's Fair. In fact, why don't you download one for Mrs. Nietzsche, too, at our expense? You only live once. Or whatever.

Yours sincerely,

I. Robot
Servant-Technician
Methodists In Action

p/s/If you are actually thinking of stealing a car belonging to anyone at MIA, we hope you like electricity.

Semul the Barbarian
The Law Firm of Semul, Laknar, and Frisch
14 Rubber Beltway
Saginaw, MI

Marjorie Llatoof
Director of Information Services
TFOM.Ink

Dear Marjorie Llatoof:

Vulgar roars and warlike oaths occasioned our receipt of your recent missive, or should I say, your heathen E-mail disclaimer, little more than an arrogant call to arms, admitting that you and the sinister "Robert Paul" ignore correspondence directed toward your hideous office. There will be much drumming in the night and dancing over this.

My client, Mr. Melbourne Uraccaby, author of _Das Antidenken Glaube in Geld Unterhaltung Werbung_ has asked me to forward the following generic reply:

-----

You are being sent this automated message because the content of your post flagged it for this purpose.

One of the worst part of a reader's day--seeing so many new and promising posts cross one's desk--is to have to reject a post because its sender is not really human, but is instead an android replicant serving as a PR factotum for an Ur-self living on the moon. You, sir or madam, are apparently part of that worst part of day. You are being subjected to a form answer.

Among the many stomach-clutching goofs, zombie illations, overextension into thought, negligently sloppy phrasing, and glaring bald errors in your android post, few deserve direct mention. Otherwise you would have been sent a different form letter.

No doubt your E-mail brimmed with howlers including, but not limited to: Ad Hominem (Argument To The Man); Affirming The Consequent; Appeal To False Authority; Argument By Half Truth (Suppressed Evidence); Argument By Laziness (Argument By Uninformed Opinion); Argument By Selective Reading; Bad Analogy; Begging The Question (Assuming The Answer, Tautology); Burden Of Proof; Causal Reductionism (Complex Cause); Changing The Subject (Digression, Red Herring, Misdirection, False Emphasis); Cliche Thinking; Error Of Fact; Fallacy Of The General Rule; Meaningless Questions; Misunderstanding the Nature of Statistics; Reductio Ad Absurdum; Reductive Fallacy (Oversimplification); Straw Man (Fallacy Of Extension); and Weasel Wording in every sentence.

You androids never learn, do you? Tell your masters to leave the moon and return to earth. Then we'll talk.

-----

Again, let me tell you how peculiar it was to receive your E-mail. We shall test our manhood by a shepherd's pie eating contest, drink faux spring water, and play Grand Theft Auto San Andreas until sleep comes. Our battle cries and fierce words shall shall echo far into the dark beyond our encampment.

Cordially yours,