[lit-ideas] Re: Religion and politics [clarification]

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:33:24 -0700

David Ritchie wrote

On Sep 11, 2008, at 8:26 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

In 2006, the Supreme Court upheld challenges to the law (based the Bush administration's attempts to prevent doctors from prescribing controlled substances to terminally ill patients) in Gonzales v. Oregon. The vote was 6-3. No other challenges to the law were considered by The Supremes.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/pas/faqs.shtml

I read this to say that the Supreme Court upheld the ninth court of appeals' decision, which was to uphold Judge Jones' ruling, which was to uphold the act... and so *reject* challenges. What am I missing? The law is still in effect.

Veronica had written

'And why did the five religious conservatives on the Supreme Court shoot down the death with dignity bill in Oregon? Twice.'

My point was that they hadn't and that Gonzales v. Oregon (a 6-3 win for Oregon) was the only time the Supremes ruled on any aspect of the Oregon law. It was never 'shot down' by them, and as David says, the law is still in effect.

Robert Paul