[lit-ideas] Re: Religion and politics

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:02:04 -0700

Nonsense Veronica.  Christian Fundamentalists do not intrude themselves into
public policy decisions.  They voice their opinions.  No one is even
campaigning for a Christian position since Falwell died.  Most of them believe
fervently in the separation of church and state like the rest of us.  Most of
them, if they are hard-core Fundamentalists, won’t run for office because “the
time is near.”

The Muslim Fundamentalists on the other hand do not believe in the separation
of church and state.  The verb “intrude” isn’t applicable to what happens
there.  It is all of a piece.

So yes the article is attacking Christian Fundamentalism by making an egregious
comparison to Islamism.

Okay, since religion is fair game in your view and you worry about the extent
to which Sarah Palin’s Assemblies of God pastor influenced her, let’s move over
to Obama and the Reverend Jeremiah Wright.  I’ve met a lot of AOG pastors and
none of them have frightened me, but Jeremiah Wright is downright spooky – and
Obama said Wright was his mentor – until all the media attention caused Obama
to leave his church.

Palin: Abstract term: Christian Fundamentalism:  Debatable specifics: opposes
abortion, smut, and gay marriage

Obama: Abstract term Wright’s Christianity:  Debatable specifics: his racist
hatred of white people, his belief in conspiracy theories such as that White
People invented AIDs to kill Black People, his anti-Americanism

Which form of Christianity seems most frightening when you think of it
influencing the President of the U.S.?

Lawrence Helm