[lit-ideas] Reich's Orgone

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:50:44 EST

Seeing that Geary's ex-wife is a Nonnie, and that D. Ritchie finds the
nonny-no a poetic refrain, I thought some credit to Mailer's Reichian oregon
could
be given here.

Hey, that's where R. Paul lives, Oregone.

Must say that Reich coining the term seems pathetic as a physical
Pre-Socratic!

"He had a small motor which was charged by an orgone accumulator."

--- Geary, do you still keep the one we used at Seattle in the attic?

Cheers,

JL
----

orgone

[< German Orgon (?1940 in the passage translated in quot.  19421 at main
sense; < Org- (in  Organismus ORGANISM  n.) + -on (in Hormon  HORMONE  n.)),
with
ending remodelled after  HORMONE  n.]
In the psychoanalytical theory of  Wilhelm Reich (1897-1957): a supposed
excess sexual energy or life-force  distributed throughout the universe which
can
be collected and stored for  subsequent use in the treatment of mental and
physical illnesses. Freq.  attrib., as orgone accumulator, orgone box, orgone
energy, orgone therapy, etc.

1942 T. P. WOLFE tr. W.  Reich Discov.  Orgone I. ix. 341

      This  energy, which is capable of
      charging  non-conducting substance, I termed
       orgone.

1942 T. P. WOLFE tr. W. Reich in Internat. Jrnl. Sex-econ. & Orgone Res.
July 138/2

Our orgone therapy experiments with  cancer patients consist in their sitting
in an orgone accumulator.

1942 T. P. WOLFE tr. W. Reich in Internat. Jrnl. Sex-econ. & Orgone Res.
July 143/2

The patient left the orgone box.

1949  Orgone Energy Bull. Apr. 95

Physical orgone therapy, application of  physical orgone energy concentrated
in an orgone accumulator to increase the  natural bio-energetic defenses of
the organism against disease.

1952 M. MCCARTHY  Groves of Academe (1953) ii. 24  A senior girl's voice,
plaintive, ‘Dr. Mulcahy, really, do we  have to believe in orgones?’

1973  A. S. NEILL Neill! Neill! Orange Peel! II. 141, I could not understand
Reich's theory of Orgone Energy... He had  a small motor which was charged by
an orgone accumulator.

1995  Daily Tel. 25 Oct. 18/7 Oh yes,  there's definitely something there,
she enthuses, and volunteers that she uses  an orgone blanket to ward off
colds.

1999 F. WYNNE tr. M. Houellebecq  Atomised (2001) 126 There were  still
workshops on sensual massage, and the liberation of the orgone, but  interest
in
the There weastrology, Egyptian tarot, working with  , Egyptboomed.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00333755?query_type=word&queryword=orgone&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&c
ase_id=j7W2-C95LDi-21048#top)