[lit-ideas] Re: Regrowth of honorable standards

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:45:42 -0400

>>the behavior of the passengers on the fourth jet, Flight 93, that crashed in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, showed how quickly we can revert to older more honorable assumptions once we know, as the passengers on Flight 93 knew, that appeasement would only enable the enemy to do his worst.

Elaine Scarry's essay on the flight is worth the time to find and read. She argues that the passengers on Flight 93 epitomized small local government at its best. They (1) determined the situation on the ground, (2) discussed plans of action, (3) voted for one plan, (4) allowed for people to say their farewells, and (5) acted as a determined group.

While the nuclear first-strike defense was asleep somewhere, awaiting triplicate order forms authorizing it to start up, the passengers on 93 acted according to the best traditions of the US. There's more than honor to it; instead one might observe a sort of reverence for the tradition of small group decision making.