[lit-ideas] Re: Regina Spektor

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:14:26 -0500

My Daughter loaned my "Beginning to Hope" and I was hooked.  So, I took a
look around the web for her -- found several videos, and her history on
Wiki.  Russian, Jewish, classically trained, multilingual, in NY for a
decade ....she seems a complex creature who's led a complex life.  I am
amazed at her breadth and range of style, vocal range, her freshness -- not
to mention her incredible music abilities.  There's one way in which her
appearance did not match, for me;  she seems almost shyly sweet.  Even
through maelstroms of music... and even when her lyrics are passionate and
sometimes dark...she seems to take herself lightly, she plays with the
music, she winks and twinkles.  (Can you tell I like her?).

Julie Krueger

On 6/10/07, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 10, 2007, at 1:05 AM, Julie Krueger wrote:

> Am I the only one who just this week, courtesy of my 15 year old, has
> finally discovered this amazing girl?

What a hard question to answer.  She's certainly had lots of air time
in this part of the country.  But I still turn the volume up when she
comes on.  I'd be interested to hear if, when you see the videos of her
performing, you are surprised.  She's older than you might think and is
one of those people whose voice image and visual image don't, in my
experience, match.

David Ritchie,
occasionally up-to-date in
Portland, Oregon