[lit-ideas] Re: Reductive vs. Reductionist

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:41:38 +0000 (GMT)

Based on the article your reading may be right, especially that "tradition" is
not a God-word for Oakeshott, and indeed that Oakeshott is not so much
anti-rationalist as himself a rationalist who opposes a kind a
pseudo-rationalism: yet the distinction between "abstract theorizing and
practical wisdom" is surely that the latter is grounded in 'concrete reality',
and thus in "tradition" where this is a key component of 'concrete reality',
whereas the first is not. I do not recall Oakeshott's work well enough to be
sure, but I suspect Oakeshott does take the view that there is a 'greater
wisdom' in tradition thanOakeshott's so-called 'rationalist' typically assumes.

When Popper says he does not agree with Oakeshott's "strictures"
it may be that one of these is this kind of distinction between "abstract
theorizing and practical
wisdom" that Oakeshott draws - a distinction we might think plausible
given a certain kind of 'common sense theory of knowledge' or perhaps 'the
common man's theory of knowledge'. But the 'theory of knowledge' that likely
lies at
the back of such an approach is one Popper would reject: rather than draw a
distinction between "abstract
theorizing and practical wisdom", we might more usefully contrast two
kinds of thinking - one that directly addresses practical or concrete problems
and seeks a practical or workable solution to them [perhaps akin to
"practical wisdom" if the solution proves successful] and a kind of
thinking that has the defect that it does not address practical or concrete
problems in a
way that speaks of a practical or workable solution to them [akin to
"abstract theorising"]. But both kinds of thinking involve
'theorising' and theorising is always "abstract": it is simply one is
focused on actual problem-solving and may be more easily translated into
practical action whereas the other is not e.g. should we take marked
disparities of income as a problem, we might engage in "abstract
theorising" that this arises because of the class system or the
inegalitarian ethos of capitalism and we could harp on about these kind of
evils and that we must root them out [without any practical proposal for how we
do so] - or we could focus on the best ways to reduce such marked disparities,
for example by using the tax system or putting controls on incomes. But in the
second kind of case there is still theorising and it is still abstract
theorising, albeit that theorising may be tested by evidence, including
evidence as to the actual consequences of any policy adopted. Even something as
straighforward as assuming that if we lower the cost of public transport it
will be used more [an assumption we might put in a more quantified form, so
that we predict if cost is lowered by x custom will increase by y] constitutes
a theory of sorts -
and an abstract one, albeit one that may be tested: it is clear it is a theory
when we accept it may be falsified, especially in its more quantified versions
- for we may find that, for whatever reasons and contrary to the experts in
"practical wisdom", lowering the cost does not increase custom. The
idea that we will get things right in the second case because we have
"practical wisdom" and have abandoned "abstract theorising"
is a naive and inaccurate view of how our knowledge works in practical matters:
for our knowledge in practical matters is fallible as well as being unavoidably
'theoretical'. Hence my suggestion that the "theory of knowledge" is
an area where Popper would differ from Oakeshott, and from strictures that
think we can draw a telling contrast between so-called "abstract theorizing and
practical wisdom". If a politician seeks your vote because of their "abstract
theorising" you might want to check your wallet, but ditto if they put
themselves forward because of their "practical wisdom".

Donal