[lit-ideas] Re: Reductive vs. Reductionist

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:20:07 -0330

Why would we need a "metaphysical explanation" of the irreducibility of moral
rightness to (empirical) facts? I ask this, in part, because I don't know what
such an explanation would look like. I await edification. Isn't Hume's version
of the naturalistic fallacy (NF) sufficient here? Zum beispiel:

"Lesbians cannot reproduce, therefore, they ought not to be allowed to marry."
What can metaphysics offer here to show invalidity of inference that is not
already covered by the NF acc to Hume? (No "ought" from only an "is.")

Walter O

Quoting Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx:

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php