[lit-ideas] Re: Recipe for happiness

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 12:03:30 +0200
On 12 May 2014, at 09:19, I wrote:

> In his book THE UNCOMMON READER, Alan Bennett has the queen note the
> following passage:
>
> "One recipe for happiness is to have no sense of entitlement."
>
> From the context, it would seem that this is a quotation from something she
> is reading, but in a cursory internet search I find no reference to a source
> other than A. Bennett himself.
>
> Can any list member help me here?

I've been doing further digging, and have found a potential source in the books
of the American motivational speaker Dawn Billings.

Here's an excerpt from

"Dawn [Billings] is the author of fifteen books on developing greatness in
children, the secrets of successful relationships, and entitlement issues
plaguing our society today. Dawn defines entitlement as a twisted perspective
or view on life that creates misery. She explains that 'Entitlement is the
greatest enemy of happiness that exists today.'"

As these books predate Bennett's (the date of the press release cited above is
2006), it could be one or more of Dawn Billings' books that has provided
Bennett's character with the thought she notes (and, as has been pointed out,
footnotes with the comment "This is not a lesson I have ever been in a position
to learn.")

Anyone familiar with any of Billings' books:

FROM INNOCENCE TO ENTITLEMENT: A LOVE AND LOGIC CURE FOR THE TRAGEDY OF
ENTITLEMENT.
THE ABC'S OF RAISING AN ENTITLED CHILD: HOW TO MAKE MONSTERS OUT OF MIRACLES.
ENTITLED TO FAIL, ENDOWED TO SUCCEED.

etc. ?

Chris Bruce,
more than a little distanced from the beaten track
of American motivational coaching networks, in
Kiel, Germany