[lit-ideas] Re: Reason and Politics

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:30:43 -0400

John Wager wrote:

"Because neither religious group would consent to the religious (revealed)
reasoning of the other group, the political process should be confined to
those matters that are not dependent upon a particular religious revealed
truth."

I am not quite sure what is meant here by a 'religious revealed truth'.  For
example, in Islam, there is the claim that everything revealed in the Quran
can also be shown through reason.  The Muslims I know are quite happy to
defend their religious beliefs through non-revelatory means.  In the
Christian tradition, one can find thinkers like Aquinas who claim that
revelation is a superaddition to reason, so that most Christian beliefs can
be defended through reason alone.

The claim that religious beliefs have no place in the political process
strikes me as being more about the business of holding religious beliefs and
less about the political process.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven, NS