[lit-ideas] Re: Reading the News

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:19:37 -0700

Dave Shrew is a battalion chief with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. That department is fighting a fire in an old growth redwood forest. His concluding comment in today's paper, "We don't consider this to be anywhere near contained. I wouldn't say we're out of the woods yet."

Meanwhile, two people were killed near Pratt, in Pratt County, Kansas, the Pratt County Sherriff's Office said.

And finally, the reason the INS is leaving downtown Portland and giving its building to our college was revealed in yesterday's paper: the building needs an overhaul of its mechanical and electrical systems and doesn't meet earthquake standards. Dagmar Butte, a Portland immigration lawyer, says this is a bad move. I don't know yet whether or not to agree.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon