[lit-ideas] Re: Reading the Morning Paper

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:54:19 -0700

There's a woman in Portland suing in the police. Her name is Freedom Child. Since she is 57 years old, it seems likely that this was not the name she was born with. Skreen or Sveen, Schneider or Sickles, as a male you have two options, stick with the name that brung you, or change it by application to authorities. Women have a third option--taking the name of the husband. So it was that when she became a homemaker, Phyllis House became a Breckenridge. If you are born with the name Beecroft, becoming a Finch is not such a tough move, but moving from Finch to Savage, as the daughter did...

Those with "precious" in their name--I'm thinking of a woman who was born Edeltraud, precious somethingorother, if I've looked it up a'right--might find it hard to become Salmon, one would have thought. The daughter became a Bartley Salmon, which is not such a big leap, as easy as moving from say McKinley to Traut. From Hershey to Harris might be a not-so-sweet move in America, but if the fellow were a lifelong member of the Portland Swiss as well as an Elk, I'm sure there'd be compensation. The daughter went from Harris to Pettingell. Their daughter took what seems to me to be a lesser step, from Pettingell to Pettingell-Stark.

I immediately wonder what my daughters will do.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon