[lit-ideas] Re: "Reading Lolita in Tehran" -"Reading Ricoeur in Manhattan"

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 04:32:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2004 3:38:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> ... I am also very slowly ...
> plodding through Paul Ricoeur's _Time and Narrative_ ...
> ... Was quite surprised to learn (after reading the foreword to
> _Oneself as Another_) that he is Christian.
Steven: This means he is subscribed?
Found a strange resonance to Wittgenstein's dictum in the way he presents his
curiously withheld opinions.

Ricoeur, _Oneself as Another_, Introduction, page 24-25:

But I think I have presented to my readers arguments alone, which do not
assume from the reader any commitment to reject, accept, or suspend anything
with
regard to biblical faith. It will be observed that this asceticism of the
argument, which marks I believe, all my philosophical work. leads to the type
of
philosophy from which the actual mention of God is absent and in which the
question of God, as a philosophical question, itself remains in a suspension
that
could be called agnostic . . . .

The reference of biblical faith to a culturally contingent symbolic network
requires that this faith assume its own insecurity, which makes it a chance
happening transformed into a destiny by means of a choice constantly renewed,
in
the scrupulous respect of different choices. The dependence of the self on a
word that strips it of its glory, all the while comforting its courage to be,
delivers biblical faith from the temptation, which I am here calling
cryptophilosophical, of taking over the henceforth vacant role of ultimate
foundation.