[lit-ideas] Reading Heidegger after publication of the 'Black Notebooks'

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:46:18 +0100

For those who want a more nuanced discussion of the publication of Heidegger's
'Black Notebooks' and their relevance in assessing Heidegger's importance as a
philosopher I recommend reading the following three articles (from which I
quote short excerpts):

Bernard-Henry Levy's "Why read Heidegger?"

"The real question [is] not to recall for the umpteenth time that this great
philosopher was also a real Nazi.

"Rather it was to ask what can and should be done today about the living
paradox, the terrifying oxymoron, of an individual about whom we cannot even
say, as we could about Céline, that he had two separate faces. We cannot do
that with Heidegger because in the same works, the same sentences, often the
same word, the man appears as a lofty philosopher and as a purveyor of infamy.

"Should we just forget him? ... Jump at finally having a good reason not to
have to struggle with one of the most arduous and complex of contemporary
philosophers?

"I don't think so. ..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernardhenri-levy/why-read-heidegger_b_6570986.html

Jonathan Ree's "In defence of Heidegger: You do not have to admire a
philosopher personally to admire his work"

"I think that those who say that because [Heidegger] was anti-Semitic we should
not read his philosophy show a deep ignorance about the whole tradition of
writing and reading philosophy. The point about philosophy is not that it
offers an anthology of opinions congenial to us, which we can dip into to find
illustrations of what you might call greeting card sentiments. Philosophy is
about learning to be aware of problems in your own thinking where you might not
have suspected them. It offers its readers an intellectual boot camp, where
every sentence is a challenge, to be negotiated with care. The greatest
philosophers may well be wrong: the point of recognising them as great is not
to subordinate yourself to them, but to challenge yourself to work out exactly
where they go wrong."

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/arts-and-books/in-defence-of-heidegger#.UyMRutxIZbz

Richard Polt and Gregory Fried in conversation with Thomas Sheehan: "no one can
jump over his own shadow"

"RP & GF: The three volumes of 'Black Notebooks' ... leave no reasonable doubt
that Heidegger had anti-Semitic attitudes. And his public statements, even into
the 1940s, indicated that he supported ... the Nazi regime and its war efforts.
How do you see this affecting his philosophy?

"TS: Heidegger’s attempt to launder his cultural pessimism and revanchist
nationalism through his “metaphysical history” of the downfall of the West is a
complete failure and should be recognized as such. This includes, most
saliently and infamously, his undeniable anti-Semitism and Nazism.

"In my opinion, the attempts of Heideggerians to 'explain' his anti-Semitism
via exculpatory qualifications (e.g., 'he wasn’t a biological anti-Semite like
the Nazis') are abject strategies of avoidance, a desperate refusal to accept
the obvious. The question, rather, is whether his deep cultural anti-Semitism,
along with his craven allegiance to Hitler, hemorrhage into the core of his
philosophy.

"Some, like the indefatigable but philosophically challenged Emmanuel Faye,
insist that Heidegger was a Nazi even before he was born and that from
beginning to end his philosophy was nothing but an effort—in Faye’s words—'to
introduce Nazism into philosophy.'

"I argue ... that the essential core of Heidegger’s philosophy was in place by
the end of 1930 and that it is in no way tainted by his later Nazism or his
abiding anti-Semitism."

http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/no-one-can-jump-over-his-own-shadow/

Chris Bruce,
in Kiel, Germany

P.S. Please note that 'recommend reading' is not semantically equivalent to
'agree uncritically with the entire contents of'.