[lit-ideas] Reading

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:07:58 -0500

Paul Stone writes, "Right now, I'm reading," and goes on to list a tiny library.

Can most of you guys do this? I'm so much of a mono-tasker that I can only read one book at a time. If I have several books going at once, it usually means that I don't like any of them but am unwilling to give up on them, or will soon discard all but one and finish that one book.

Given the tendency to make virtues of limitations, I have come to see multitasking as a vice, symptom of a horrible distraction, of restlessness, of less than full concentration. Business has praised multitasking, I sometimes assume, because they want one person to do the job of several people, and forcing divided attention on their employees, make tolerance of divided attention a virtue.

On the other hand, looking at any one thing discloses the multiple things going on simultaneously inside it. Else we would lose the violin concerto for the solo violin, and the candle would conceal Guernica.

I'm reading _Resuscitation of a Hanged Man_ by Denis Johnson. Well, not right now. Right now, I'm typing this post. Just this post. Well, not this post. Just this sentence. This word. This individual letter, and at the end, a period.