[lit-ideas] Re: Rationality: Popper vs. Grice

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:55:30 -0500

Is Rationality self-justifying?

How pancritical can one be?

Is being a pancritical rationalist being what Grice has as being "enough of
 a rationalist"?

Was Popper's happy with pancritical rationalism?

The naming of cats, and editing, can be a difficult matter. It isn't just
one of your holiday games.

Bartley did a lot of editing of Popper's papers. Similarly, Warner edited
Grice's "Aspects of reason and reasoning" as "Aspects of Reason" for
Clarendon.

Warner spent HOURS with Grice, and oddly, Warner was crucial in Grice's
SECOND book ("The conception of value") and not just the third ("Aspects of
reason"). Warner would visit Grice at his house on the Berkeley hills, and
spend, literally, HOURS with him.

He later decoded Grice's handwritten notes into a legible document that was
 published by Clarendon.

Warner makes the occasional brilliant footnote, as when he notes that  this
or that idiom Grice borrowed (but as I say, 'never returned') from this or
that author. Grice had a way of words, and Warner knew it.

Warner also explains that the last lecture (on Happiness, now in "Aspects
of reason") was not delivered at Stanford Kant lectures nor at Oxford Locke
lectures, but since Grice loved that paper, and there IS a reference to
'eudaimonia' in Kant's idea of the maxims and the imperatives, Warner thought
it  a very good idea (I agree) to include it in the Clarendon "Aspects of
reason".

In fact, Warner's contribution to "Philosophical Grounds of Rationality:
Intentions, Categories, Ends", is an expansion on the Aristotelian basis for
Grice's idea of happiness, and Warner has further original work on the
matter  (He was a graduate student with Grice at UC/Berkeley).

On the other hand, there's W. W. Bartley, III, and Sir Karl Raimund  Popper.

In a message dated 2/11/2015 2:04:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
When I asked for sources I was hoping for  something more specific by way
of reply than "writings". What specific  "writings"? And what source says
Bartley added "passages" to Popper's work in  his editorial role (as opposed to
adding footnotes etc. that are clearly marked  as Bartley's own editorial)?"

Despite the restored friendship, W. W. Bartley, III's view was never
accepted by Sir Karl Raimund Popper, who criticised it even after W. W.
Bartley,
III's death.