[lit-ideas] Re: Rapture

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 13:15:37 +0200

** For Your Eyes Only **
** High Priority **
** Reply Requested When Convenient **

camping, sir, name is "camping"

>>> Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> 5/25/2011 8:32 AM >>>
It did seem too good to be true. When the end of the world failed to
materialise as predicted the prophet disappeared and his Camper followers
seemed to accept that empirical facts had falsified the theory. They need not -
as a falsification can always be evaded. Yet here they were, apparently being
rational in the face of falsification. The prophet Camper has come to the
rescue. The theory is not false and events have not falsified it: rather a
mistake in calculation led to the wrong date being predicted, which of course
is not a flaw in the theory but human error. So now we have to wait to October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13516796

Camper btw has the slightly creepy, sanctimonious appearance (I've only seen a
few photos, but, if I'm wrong about this, think of it as merely a
miscalculation from the theory and not a flaw in the theory itself) and marked
physical resemblance to one of my Oxford tutors, on which ground alone sensible
people like myself could tell he is not really to be trusted.

Donal
London

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/