[lit-ideas] Re: Random thoughts on a Recent Thread

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:36:42 +0100

Sunday, August 7, 2005, 5:28:26 PM, eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

eac> It is kind of amusing to hear (since I am in Texas, after
eac> all...) that the 'anti-Hispanic' group is Republican.

Bush's family's part-Hispanic, he has used that to great -- but now
decreasing -- effect (I can't
find the family details).

The decrease may owe something to the fact that during his
Presidency, the median Hispanic family income has dropped
considerably more than the median US family income. The average
Hispanic family income is 25 per cent less than the average US family
income (I don't know whether average, there, is median or mean).

eac> Not long ago, our federal government [with Bush's
eac> encouragement) gave over $1 billion to Texas's hospitals (most to
eac> Houston) to pay for healthcare for for illegal immigrants.  (the
eac> isolationist in me was a bit cranky about that--for there are
eac> many in my world who are legally here but who cannot get
eac> healthcare...)

Presumably the illegal immigrants could not get health insurance
and/or could not afford it? -- there are stories like that here but on
investigation, they are shown to be untrue or misleading in the
extreme.  An example of the second is the row over the government
providing private medical treatment for asylum seekers. Yes it was. It
did it -- provided very cheap private medical treatment -- because
some British people in that locality complained about the asylum
seekers getting NHS treatment.

eac> However, there is a bit of 'racial tension', but
eac> not towards Hispanics from 'White Americans'...it is more from
eac> Hispanics towards other races...

Here it's (it was) white and West-Indian-origin "youths" against
"Pakis" -- *not* Pakistanis against other "races".
Incidentally I've never known a racist US Hispanic -- but I admit I've
only really known 3 -- I certainly have known them be targets of
racism (within the US).

eac> Though, granted, I am not doing a scientific survey--just
eac> wander around and chat with people, but as I do that quite a bit
eac> and did so the last time I was here, too--well, it's
eac> fascinating...

you can learn a lot that way -- I learn a lot that way (given that I
live in a "multicultural" city),

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx