[lit-ideas] Re: RR-Folk: Odd Behavior in 3 Year Old RR

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bonnie Polakoff'" <bonnies.boop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 15:51:12 -0700

Bonnie,

I don't see enough in your note to convince me that you girl is aggressive.
If one of my Ridgebacks had done that I would see it more as self-defense -
perhaps misguided self-defense, but self-defense non-the-less.  Of course I
didn't see it, so I'm probably wrong, but . . .

Before my present Ridgeback I had two girls, Ginger and Sage.  Ginger was
abnormal in the sense of being overly friendly.  I was in fact a little
worried that she wouldn't be able to defend herself where we hike off-leash
and where there were coyotes and occasional feral dogs and so I got Sage as
a "body guard."  That is, the breeder assured me that Sage would be more
"protective" than Ginger.  That didn't turn out to be the case.  In fact,
after I got Sage, Ginger turned out to be protective of her in a
Ginger-sort-of way.  That is, if there was a large male in their presence,
Ginger would interpose her own body in between Sage and the male dog.  She
wouldn't growl at it.  In fact she would try to get it to play.

But on two occasions while walking the girls on-leash late at night, large
male dogs (different dogs on different occasions) approached us menacingly.
Ginger, the friendly, wouldn't do anything, but Sage charge out to the end
of her leash with a menacing snarl.  The dogs turned and with their tails
between their legs ran off.   When we were hiking off leash Sage never had
an occasion to do anything like that.  Ginger was the one to go off and try
to be friendly with other dogs, but if Sage was "constrained" and a dog came
up to her in a way suggesting that it wanted to be intimidating, then Sage
would react.  In the latter case, Sage was "cornered" in a way.  Because of
the leash she couldn't maneuver.  She couldn't get away and so she would
"defend herself."  If your girl is "constrained" by your commands (even if
she isn't on leash) and doesn't feel free to maneuver or get away, she may
think she is defending herself.

At present we have two dogs.  My wife wanted a "lap dog" and acquired a male
Schnoodle named Duffy, who may weigh about 20 pounds.  He is a delightful
super-friendly little guy.  After losing the last of my girls I acquired a
three-year old male, Ben, who is perfectly well-behaved and perfect in every
other way (at least as far as my experience with Ridgebacks goes).  Duffy
was 3 1/2 when I got Ben.  They are now 4 and 3 1/2 respectively and get
along very well on our hikes.  I've posted photos of them and one can see
that Duffy especially adores Ben, but Ben appreciates Duffy as well.
However, if Duffy is on my lap and Ben approaches, Duffy has growled at him
(which I discourage, and Duffy being extremely amenable does it less and
less as time goes on).  And if Ben approached Duffy's food, Duffy would
chase him down the hall.  I didn't like that behavior and discouraged it.
Now Duffy will let Ben take his food sometimes and I don't like that either;
so I've gotten after Ben.  Anyway, Duffy I'm sure intended to tell Ben "this
is mine; so back off."  I never took this as aggression on Duffy's part.

And not so very long ago we were hiking at the (dry) San Jacinto River and I
heard a commotion and some snarling (not Ben's), rushed around a bush and
encountered Ben being chased by a German Shepherd.  Friendly Ben wasn't
looking for trouble but he did approach a man walking his German Shepherd
off-leash and the German Shepherd took offense.  I got around the bush at
about the same time the German Shepherd's owner called him back.  The German
Shepherd then rushed back to his owner.  Friendly Ben looked bewildered.   I
didn't chastise Ben or put him on leash.  I just said calmly, "okay, let's
go this way," and led off in a different direction.  I merely hoped that Ben
would be a bit more cautious the next time we encountered someone walking a
dog.  We don't see many people where we hike, but it does happen.  I noticed
that the German Shepherd's owner put a leash on his dog.  I've never owned a
German Shepherd but I didn't see the German Shepherd as doing anything
wrong.  A strange dog (Ben) in a semi-wilderness approached him or her (I
couldn't tell) so he did his job and chased it off.

No doubt your girl is different from any of my Ridgebacks (I've never had a
barker) but I wouldn't be overly concerned about a dog of mine who growled
at a strange dog coming up to it -- if it didn't feel free to maneuver.  If
it did feel free to maneuver then I would expect it to get out of the way,
maybe come over behind me as Ben did after the German Shepherd chased him.
In Ben's case he was probably more like the dogs who came up to your girl.
Also, Ben's previous owner probably didn't take him on the sort of hikes we
go on; so Ben may have some things to learn.  In your case, the dogs coming
up to your girl may not be using the best judgment and may need (in your
girl's opinion) to be warned off.

As to wild things, my girls chased coyotes when they were young.  Ben, who
may never have encountered coyotes before still chases them.  I am
discouraging that, but shoot, he probably thinks, if it runs I'm going to
chase it.

If I had your girl I might try to find an area where there were fewer things
going on, especially fewer dogs.  And then not show any reaction if she
growled, just an "okay, let's go this way" assuming that her growl meant she
was made uncomfortable by the approach of another dog.  On the other hand
maybe that wouldn't work in a "dog park" situation.  Do you just go there
and turn your girl loose?  In my case I am hiking and my dogs follow me -
not too close usually but they keep track of me and if I don't see them when
I look about then I call out, for example, "Ben I don't see you," and Ben
then appears.  I've never been in a dog park, however.

I once had a Ridgeback named Trooper, who was my perfect dog before I got
Ben.  Trooper however was a food thief.  On one occasion even after I told
him specifically not to eat some cat food I came back out to the garage
seconds later to find his head in the cat bowl licking it clean.  I was
furious with him, chewed him out and (per some dog-trainer's instructions)
rapped him lightly on the muzzle with two fingers.  My being furious didn't
take the form of rapping him hard, but it did take to form of going on and
on rather long.  At last Trooper emitted a deep growl.  I quit.  Trooper was
always perfectly behaved and obedient in other ways, and I conceded to him
that while he was out of like for eating the cat food, I was out of line by
going on and on much too long.  I told that story several times, laughing
while I did so.

The fact that your girl didn't do this sort of thing when she was younger
may just mean that she is now an adult and more conscious of other dogs
impinging upon her personal space.

I know you said you are an experienced RR owner, but every one of my
Ridgebacks has been different from all the others; so maybe your previous
Ridgebacks were more like my Ginger and this present girl is more in the
direction of my Trooper who was the most protective Ridgeback I've had.  If
I'm guessing correctly she may be more protective than my Sage or even my
present dog Ben.  I personally don't need that level of protection, but on
the other hand it is a pretty nice thing to have as long as that's all it
is.

Lawrence