[lit-ideas] Re: RR (Fictions and Realities)

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 06:54:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just read this article.  I am no fan of Reagan,
> and I agree with the article presented here in every
> way except one.  Most everything mentioned are
> philosophical issues that could have been prevented
> prospectively (the environment, institutionalizing
> greed, and so on).  Regarding his aid to the Islamic
> terrorists, however, we are judging him with
> retrospective 20/20 hindsight.  There was no way for
> anyone to know what OBL was to become, while the
> Soviet Union at the time was our enemy.  Magnifying
> the Soviet Union into the evil empire was certainly
> unnecessary, an extension of his movie fantasies,
> but even so it would have taken a philosopher king
> to see that the enemy of our enemy is our friend is
> a dangerous long term business.

I would agree with this. The Afghanistan problem would
be more appropriately blamed on his successors, Bush
Sr. and Clinton, who neglected the war-ravished
country as soon as the Soviet Union withdrew. We
probably don't sufficiently appreciate the extent of
destruction Afg. suffered in the war with the Soviets
- it seems more than 50 % of the villages got bombed
during Gorbachev's time only.

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/