[lit-ideas] Re: R. G. Collingwood, is he still worth reading?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:53:51 EDT

I think he is. I was recently commenting on Grice commenting on Collingwood
 in "Metaphysics", in D. F. Pears, the Nature of metaphysics. In this essay
 (which I have posted excerpts of elsewhere) Grice comments on the good
idea of  the 'presupposition' as the study of metaphysics. Grice, like
Collingwood, is  concerned with the study of philosophy or metaphysics (more
strictly) as the  crtitical examination of a conceptual framework. Grice
criticises
Collingwood,  in a good pun that Grice makes, that Collingwood conforms
himself (as it were)  with a mere 'archaeological' approach to the matter.
(Recall that Collingwood  was a Roman archaeologist), and Grice will have none
of that. For Grice, the  metaphysician has to delve deeper, even, than the
archaeologist. He has to  examine the foundations and even aim at revising
them, and yield imaginative  newer ones, if she can. Etc.

Grice refers to Collingwood as a 'traditionalist', unlike himself, who he
regards as a 'revolutionary', back in the day. (Both were Oxford best, of
course  -- even if they belonged to totally unoverlapped generations).

JLS

In a message dated 3/29/2010 1:02:41 A.M., lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

I  posted a note on this subject at