[lit-ideas] Quotes on New Orleans

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:59:15 EDT

_http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/currentevents/a/katrinaquotes.htm_
(http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/currentevents/a/katrinaquotes.htm)

10 Mind-Numbingly Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina And Its  Aftermath

10) "I have not heard a report of thousands of people in the convention
center who don't have food and water." âHomeland Security Secretary Michael
Chertoff, on NPR's "All Things Considered," Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

9) "We just learned of the convention center â we being the federal
government â today." âFEMA Director Michael Brown, to ABC's Ted Koppel,
Sept. 1,
2005, to which Koppel responded " Don't you guys watch television? Don't you
guys listen to the radio? Our reporters have been reporting on it for more than

just today." (Source)

8) "...those who are stranded, who chose not to evacuate, who chose not to
leave the city..." âFEMA Director Michael Brown, on New Orleans residents who

could not evacuate because they were too poor and lacked the means to leave,
CNN  interview, Sept. Sponsored Links
Help Katrina's Victims
Urgent - Help  Hurricane Victims! Rush Aid to Children and Families.
_www.WorldVision.org_ (http://www.WorldVision.org)

7) "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." âPresident Bush, to FEMA
director Michael Brown, while touring Hurricane-ravaged Mississippi, Sept. 2,
2005

6) "Last night, we showed you the full force of a superpower government
going to the rescue." âMSNBC's Chris Matthews, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

5) "You simply get chills every time you see these poor individuals...many
of these people, almost all of them that we see are so poor and they are so
black, and this is going to raise lots of questions for people who are watching

this story unfold." --CNN's Wolf Blitzer, on New Orleans' hurricane refugees,
 Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

4) "It makes no sense to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a city that's
seven feet under sea level....It looks like a lot of that place could be
bulldozed." âHouse Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), Aug. 31, 2005 (Source)

3) "We've got a lot of rebuilding to do ... The good news is â and it's  hard
for some to see it now â that out of this chaos is going to come a  fantastic
Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's  house â
he's lost his entire house â there's going to be a fantastic house. And  I'm
looking forward to sitting on the porch." (Laughter) âPresident Bush,
touring
hurricane damage, Mobile, Ala., Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

2) "Thank President Clinton and former President Bush for their strong
statements of support and comfort today. I thank all the leaders that are
coming
to Louisiana, and Mississippi and Alabama to our help and rescue. We are
grateful for the military assets that are being brought to bear. I want to
thank
Senator Frist and Senator Reid for their extraordinary efforts. Anderson,
tonight, I don't know if you've heard â maybe you all have announced it --
but
Congress is going to an unprecedented session to pass a $10 billion
supplemental
 bill tonight to keep FEMA and the Red Cross up and operating." âSen. Mary
Landrieu (D-LA), to CNN's Anderson Cooper, Aug. 31, 2005, to which Cooper
responded:

"I haven't heard that, because, for the last four days, I've been seeing
dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi. And to listen to politicians
thanking each other and complimenting each other, you know, I got to tell you,
there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very
frustrated. And when they hear politicians slap â you know, thanking one
another, it just, you know, it kind of cuts them the wrong way right now,
because
literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being  eaten
by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours. And
there's not enough facilities to take her up. Do you get the anger that is out
here?" (Source)

1) "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." âPresident
Bush, on "Good Morning America," Sept. 1, 2005, six days after repeated
warnings  from experts about the scope of damage expected from Hurricane
Katrina
(Source)