[lit-ideas] Quotes of the Day

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:56:09 -0400

I wonder if Marlena can critique these two quotes of the day for us.  I'm
asking Marlena because these quotes appear to fit right in with her interest in
making the world a better place.  The first quote says focus on yourself and
you'll be happy; the second quote says focus on others and you'll be happy.  It
seems to me that the first quote is the shorter and less bumpy road to
happiness.  Marlena, any ideas?
"Chase after money and security and your heart will never unclench. Care about
people's approval and you will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity."
- Lao-tzu

affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure
the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in
others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden
patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson