[lit-ideas] Re: Quote from Allan Bullock's book

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:26:13 -0800 (PST)

Good point, I just associated The Berlin - Bagdad
Railrod with an earlier era. Maybe they could've
finished it, but now that I think about it I realize I
have in mind oil demand of today (which requires huge
tanker fleets) while the demands of the day were
propably a magnitudue lower, thus making overland
transport possibly feasible.

There is something about the great railway lines. In a
better world, I'd love a train ride from Berlin to
Bombay or from Cairo to Johannesburg.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

--- david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:
>

> > Given that you
> > have the ship the oil somehow, I wonder how useful
> > controlling Middle-East would've been without
> > controlling the Med?
>
> Remember the old aspiration--oil via land?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Railway
>
> David Ritchie
> Portland, Oregon

> vacation on/off,