[lit-ideas] Re: Quick German Question (Vermutlich und Wahrscheinlich) [part II]

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:24:26 -0500

> if i think of situations, i'd use wahrscheinlich if it's something that
one can see.
> wahrscheinlich, that's a mountain lion in that tree.
>
> i'd use vermutlich if i'm talking about a situation. vermutlich, Robert is
just copying
> stuff from the web.

I understand what you're getting at but I still don't see the distinction.
So the former is for things you can see and the latter is for situations,
but can't you also see situations - e.g. isn't the mountain lion stuck in
the tree a situation?  Or are the two just used differently depending on
whether one can see the situation or not - e.g. one would use
'wahrscheinlich' if it was a situation one could see (in which case I'm
guessing it would be rarely used) and then 'vermutlich' if it were a
situation one could not see?  That seems almost crazy.  But okay, It's 5am.
I have patience.  Really, I do.

Erin