[lit-ideas] Re: Quick German Question (Vermutlich und Wahrscheinlich)

  • From: Al Pierson <allarpie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:03:47 -0800 (PST)

It's Hammer time!  Hammer's German Grammar probably has much to say about this
question (Good to
know Hammer's been keeping busy since his brief moment of fame).

Author Durrell, Martin.
Title Hammer's German grammar and usage / Martin Durrell.
Publication info. Chicago ; London : McGraw-Hill, 2002.
Edition 4th ed.

Or try this:

http://www.curso-de-aleman.de/grammatik/kapitel_24/24_4_3_2_4_adverbios_con_verbo_vermutlich_wahrscheinlich.htm

http://www.german-grammar.de/grammar/chapter_25/25_4_3_2_4_adverbs_with_verbs_vermutlich_wahrscheinlich.htm

AP

------------------------------

From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Quick German Question (Vermutlich und Wahrscheinlich)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:05:31 -0500

Are "vermutlich" and "wahrscheinlich" interchangeable?  I can't figure out when
to use which one.

They both seem like they mean the same thing to me, and the dictionaries I've
checked don't
clarify distinct definitions.
Anyone?

Erin