[lit-ideas] Re: Question of Jung

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:56:29 -0500 (EST)

You knew I'd answer this.  I've gotten away from this subject, displaced now
with an obsession about Iraq, China and global warming, but in the end it's all
connected, and in fact The Self and its lack underlies all interactions, so
here's my answer.

I'm not sure about Jung's take on The Self (I associate Jung with the
collective unconscious, which more and more I think is nonsense; there's
nothing unconscious about the collective except that myths and prejudices are
carefully brainwashed into children).  The Self, as I understand it, is the
internalized sense that one is separate and distinct from one's environment,
that one is good enough as is, that one can survive without a lifeline of
another person or drug or activity.  It's the sense of completeness and
wholeness and security inside one's own skin.  It forms in childhood
(especially critically during the first two years) out of good nurturing.
Introjected messages, on the other hand, are what often substitute for the
self.  They are the parental messages that say, you're lazy, stupid, always
causing trouble, get out of here, etc. etc.  Introjected messages, along with
parental emotional abandonment (a child has no real parents if he's not good
enough) are the cause of all the strife in the world.  Add beatings, the
rampant emotional and physical sexual abuse there is in the world, post
traumatic stress disorder from the never ending wars, and here we are.  The
Self is a scarce commodity in the world.